Saturday 3 March 2018

I feel cheated


Yesterday, I eventually went to see Three Billboard Outside Ebbing Missouri. I did not fancy it, but people were raving, the media were predicting Oscars and several nominations have been awarded already. So, I thought, it is almost an obligation for somebody who sees films often and appreciates their value to see this particular film even if I did not like its setting much. I thought this was rather low of me so I went to see it and I had an open mind.

                            Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania three billboards outside ebbing missouri review

During the film, I laughed, I cringed, I was engrossed in the action 100%. When the film finished, I thought that it deserved all the Oscars it was nominated for and conceded its superiority over other films I previously liked a lot. My personal assessment of Call Me by Your Name was demoted to a lower position in the films ranking.

Then, while walking home I reflected on what it was all about and what actually moved me so much. The acting was great, and I think this was a dishonest trick to put emphasis on role-playing to obstruct the film’s psychological inconsistencies, emptiness and untruth. Since analysing is often my game and sometimes my shortcoming, so I analysed the issue and quickly came into conclusion that the moments in the film that made me think of the goodness of human nature hidden behind rough exteriors are seriously unconvincing. The film is full of that. People who are extremely cruel, harm others in the most brutal way without a moment of thinking, suddenly see their failings and show the most touching human generosity. Like the boy who was savagely harmed by the policeman, later recovering in the hospital and seeing the policeman who was patient himself after an accident, after some hesitation comes with the glass of juice to the bandaged policeman and tenderly positions the straw so it can be reached easily. Nice. And I went for it thinking that human nature has so much goodness underneath of violence. Well, I feel gullible.

                              Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania three billboards outside ebbing missouri review

The most difficult to swallow is, however, change in the officer Dixon, brilliantly played by Rockwell. The dumb, violent, cruel man after receiving the letter prizing him for potential detective talents turns into an honest, dedicated person who almost starts to display an aptitude to solve complex problems.


Well, I still think that the film will get his Oscars in abundance, but I will not be convinced.

6 comments:

  1. Due to preoccupation with a number of very important matters, I was unable to see it but I intend to once DVDs are released in our market. Your review makes it imperative that I do so that we can exchange notes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am quite sure the film is going to be awarded a lot of Oscars and that I am in minority not being too impressed. It will be really good to compare the notes with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://rummuser.com/three-billboards-outside-ebbing-missouri/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you liked it and it was good to read your comments. I feel about the film quite similarly even if I made critical comments.

      Delete
  4. We want to believe in the underlying goodness of our fellow man. We NEED to believe, in order to get through the day. So often, the goodness is a facade that's too easily ripped away in a moment to show the ugly, underlying violence and cruelty.

    But we need to believe. And there are plenty of people out there who bolster this belief, just as we teeter on the brink, who have lesser acting skills. A movie only has a couple of hours to pull us back from the brink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment and reading my bog. This is quite a recognition even if you do not approve of my comments. I appreciate your sentiments and I also believe that there is goodness in each one of us. Just the degree of it we may see differently. You obviously feel very passionate about goodness of our fellow men and it is a passion which may bring changes in the world we both are craving for. Once again thank yu for your comment.

      Delete