Thursday 23 February 2017

Adagio

 Image result for manchester by the sea

I just saw Manchester by the Sea. It is a very good film and the film that moved me for several reasons, some of them rather personal. When a book or a film throws new light on my personal  life and helps me to understand myself and my past better, it has a special value for me. Manchester by the Sea is such a film for people who lived through a trauma. And who has not?

It starts with several scenes seemingly without a point and with rather simplistic dialog. This part lasts  irritatingly long and one wonders what it is all about. I must say that after seeing the whole film I realised that the structure of the film is genial and it needed the first, on reflection, not so boring part.

The film is about Lee who had been a loving uncle to his  nephew, sixteen years old Patrick, and suddenly, after death of his brother, becomes the guardian of the boy. He cannot deal with the new responsibility and we do not understand why. The scenes from the past show a different person, Lee was at that time. Playful, loving husband and the father of three children changed into a solitary man who does not smile, works in a menial job, is aloof to the point of appearing rude. Two different people.

 The film unfolds the story and leads to an extremely tragic event in the lives of Lee and his wife. The background music of  the scene showing the tragedy is Adagio by Albinoni. This music has been used as a background in many films and there was a time I considered it as expressing deep love and emotions related to it. At that time I did not notice profound sadness of the music. To me it was just showing elation that romantic love brings. I felt that it expressed my feelings of the time very well. It  is clear to me now how extreme happiness and extreme tragedy are close to one another. This sadness and tenderness of love are expressed in the Adagio so movingly.  When I and the man of my life chose Adagio as “our song” I did not associate it with sadness at all, such discoveries came later. With time, I noticed that it was used as background to many documentaries dealing with concentration camps. I did not like this associations, how could I? With time, however, I started to hear the other tones in my favourite Adagio. Tenderness and compassion that comes with tragedies are there as well. Sadness and acceptance of unavoidable. Dignity and inner quietness are there as well. Unbelievable piece of music.  I could say AMAZING if the word was not so frequently used in My Kitchen Rules.

I needed to break out from being totally in an Adagio mood and life recollections to return to reality, hence the comment on MKR which helped, but is obviously out of context . Sorry...
Now that my love story is over and trauma of its end is behind me, Adagio can be my music again. A bit sad, but still beautiful. Like life.

So this is what the film is all about. About trauma and the way of dealing with it or not being able to deal with it. Lee is not able to. But his wife does and she moves on. This role is played brilliantly by Michelle Williams. The scene when Lee and his wife meet coincidently after some years will become a movie classic, I believe. One of the most moving scenes of any film I have seen. True to life as well.
Michelle Williams had her share of trauma in her privet life. The relationship with Heath Ledger finished before his death, but even so the final closure was very difficult for the famous actress. Has it helped her to play the scene so extremely well?  I believe that life experiences make us wiser and better understanding human nature.


Great film, but perhaps not uplifting your mood. 10 out of 10 for me. 

Affleck brothers are people to watch and follow. They both already have great achievements to their names.

                        Image result for affleck brothers 

4 comments:

  1. Though it sounds like something that I may not enjoy, Afflecks in it and your 10/10 has persuaded to see it when it is released here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually it is any one Affleck in the film, the one on the right of the picture. To me he seems to be even a better actor than his more famous brother. I hope I have not lead you astray with my comments and you will like it. I will be reading your comments with interest if you chose to write any.

      My book club is into India related books now. For this month it is A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry and the next one The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Deshai.I just started the first one and so far I like it.

      Delete
  2. The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Deshai, is a complicated book in that unless you know the Gurkha agitation, you will find some scenes difficult to understand but overall it is a remarkable book. KD's first book Hullabaloo in the Guava Orchard, is a better book in my opinion. I have got Rohinton Mistry's A find Balance on my kindle and I simply have not found the time to read it. He essentially talks about the Parsis of Bombay, now Mumbai and here too a little familiarity with them and the city will be of help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just finished seeing Manchester By The Sea and agree with you that Casey Affleck and Michelle Williams have both produced remarkable performances. So has young Lucas Hedges as young Patrick. Thanks for pointing me towards this movie.

    ReplyDelete